Student Learning Outcomes (SLO)
Student Learning Outcomes of the Personal Financial Planning B.S. Degree Program
Students will demonstrate a depth of knowledge and apply the methods of inquiry in personal financial planning, and they will demonstrate a breadth of knowledge across their discipline. Student outcomes associated with this SLO are listed below.
- Understand the fundamentals of the financial planning process.
- Calculate and interpret the time value of money.
- Develop a clear, professional understanding of insurance policies and strategies.
- Understand risk management concepts.
- Apply tax planning strategies to meet the goals of the client.
- Become skilled in applying retirement planning strategies.
- Develop estate planning strategies for the benefit of clients.
SLO: Critical Thinking
Students will be able to interpret information, respond and adapt to changing situations, make complex decisions, solve problems, and evaluate actions.
- Apply knowledge to help others meet challenges.
- Solve real world problems.
- Develop financial plans for clients with a variety of needs.
Students will be able to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Develop and refine communication skills.
Students will demonstrate the awareness, understanding, and skills necessary to live and work in a diverse world.
- Work in multidisciplinary and diverse teams.
SLO: Ownership for Learning
Students will demonstrate the inclination to be lifelong learners, a concern to become and remain will informed, the ability to retrieve and manage information appropriately, open-mindedness regarding world views, and a willingness to reconsider and revise their own views when warranted.
- Participate in professional groups and activities.
SLO: Personal and Professional Development
Students will practice professional ethics, demonstrate personal and social responsibility, provide leadership in interactions with peers, and work effectively as team members.
- Learn and demonstrate leadership skills.
- Demonstrate standards of ethical conduct which adhere to the Code of Ethics and Professional Responsibility developed by the Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards.
- Obtain an understanding of 21st Century technologies.